Skip to content

External placements – students

External placements

External academic placements enable students to complete tutored stays at companies to perform the kind of tasks associated with the professional practice of engineers and to complement their university training.

What are external academic placements?

Placements are a training activity carried out by students and supervised by the University. The aim is to provide students with an opportunity to apply and complement knowledge acquired in their academic training, foster the acquisition of skills that prepare them for professional practice, enhance their employability, and strengthen their ability to innovate.

Placements may be completed at companies, public or private institutions/entities (national or international), or the UPC itself.

Educational cooperation agreements

External academic placements are governed by educational cooperation agreements signed by the company, the participating student and the University. Each agreement covers a specific period and number of hours. Agreements must ensure that students gain experience which enriches their academic training by participating in the activity carried out by the company. Objectives are defined in a specific work plan appended to each agreement.

Placements are intended to serve as a training activity for students. Therefore, in no case shall a placement give rise to the type of obligations associated with an employment relationship, and tasks performed by a placement student may not substitute for work performed by employees. However,companies that take on placement students must register them with the Social Security System. 


Placements may be curricular or extracurricular, depending on whether or not they are recorded on the student’s academic record. The EPSEVG offers curricular placements because they are integrated and assessed on the academic record of participating students. These placements complement academic training and bring students into contact with the working world.

The UPC’s regulations on external academic placements stipulate as follows:

Once a company and a student have entered into an agreement, the student should submit the required documents – all completed and bearing the signature and seal of the company and the student’s signature – to the Student Information and Support Service (SIAE) for the Campus. This must be done at least one week before the start date for the placement.

Documents required:

Notice of any amendments to the initial terms of agreements and any withdrawals or extensions must be given at least 15 days in advance.

If a placement is terminated before the date specified in the corresponding agreement, the student concerned must inform the School and submit a withdrawal certificate to the Student Information and Support Service (SIAE) in person or via Demana EPSEVG.

Credits that may be recognised for bachelor’s and master’s degrees in Engineering, and documentation required

Curricular placements may be recognised on a student’s academic record as follows:

See the regulations for work placements at companies. The forms that need to be filled in can be found in the “Documents” section.

Documents for assessment purposes.

Contact us

  • Student Information and Attention Service (SIAE)
    Vilanova i la Geltrú School of Engineering
    Av. Víctor Balaguer, 1
    08800 Vilanova i la Geltrú (Barcelona)

    Office hours for phone service:
    Monday to Friday, 8.00 a.m. to 2.00 p.m.
    Tel.: +34 93 896 78 62

  • Office opening hours

    Monday - Friday: 11:00 am - 1:30 pm
    The SIAE will be closed in the afternoon until further notice.

    From June to September

    Monday - Friday: 10:30 am - 1:30 pm

  • Closing periods of the year 2021

    The 4th and 5th of Jenuary
    The 15th of February
    Since the 1th to the 5th of April
    Since the 1th to the 31th of August
    Since the 27th to the 31th of December

    Online service